Youth, Business, Community Internships Information
Millard Public Schools and Avenue Scholars are partnering on a new project to increase access for our students to paid internships beginning the summer after their junior year of high school.
Internship Program Flow
- Students will apply from April 22, 2019, to May 10, 2019. All applications are due on or before May 10, 2019.
- Job site interviews will occur between May 20, 2019 and May 31, 2019.
- Intern selections will be made by businesses by May 31, 2019.
Summer Between Junior and Senior Year
- From June 10-14, 2019, students will attend a one-week “Human Relations/Workplace Skills Course” full time.
- They will then continue that coursework one hour per week (every Monday from 8:00am-9:00am throughout the summer (beginning June 17, 2019).
- Among other things, students will learn soft skills and workplace ethics and expectations in this course.
- Students will dual enroll with Metropolitan Community College (at no cost) for this course.
- Students will begin their paid internships on June 17, 2019.
- They will work 20-30 hours a week during the summer.
- An Internship Coach will be provided.
- Students will be enrolled in a CTE course in the Millard Pathway related to their internship.
- Their paid internship will continue .
- They will work 10-20 hours a week during the school year.
- They will continue to work with their Internship Coach.
MPS Strategy 2.3
Expand career and technical education and readiness opportunities to all students by increasing and utilizing partnerships with the education, business & industry community.
Avenue Scholars provides individualized support services to help students from low-income backgrounds identify and ultimately enter financially sustaining careers.
Paid internships offer a structured, time-bound, mutually beneficial opportunity for students and employers to "try" one another before committing to full-time employment at a certain company.